Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Post Normal Post


I was doing some reading last night: Public Administration: Traditions of Inquiry and Philosophies of Knowledge
By Norma M. Riccucci.
I was hoping to better understand if the study of Public Administration is a "science" or an "art..." This concept of "post normal" blew my mind and kind of discouraged me. Obama's concessions to the rich yesterday are fresh; allowing the rich to keep their Bush-era tax cuts in order to allow unemployed people to eat is upsetting. Billions to the rich, so the middle class can keep their heads above water. "Let them eat cake!"
Public Administration may not be the course of study that will help me make sense of the world because I really want public administration to be a science; it should be.
Public institutions should know what they are doing and be making knowledge-based decisions when using tax payers money to provide services.