Friday, April 15, 2011

We are Not The Royals


In light of our beloved Kate and William, I am again thinking about how my boyfriend of three years and I will likely not be having a grand ceremony anytime soon. This is a mutual agreement, a bond if you will. We do not want children and we politely decline to make a legal commitment.
I feel comfortable in the agreement to be monogamous, respectful, supportive, best friends. What more could you ask for? If I was Prince William or Kate Middleton and had the entire world breathing down my neck, I might just bite the bullet. But that is very much a political transaction as much as it is a legal contract that settles a lot of material questions. I am pretty sure that if they were not getting married, they would continue to have the same fun, interesting relationship they have enjoyed for many years now.
In this research article titled: Are There Gains to Delaying Marriage? The Effect of Age at First Marriage on Career Development and Wages by Loughran, David; Zissimopoulos, Julie I read this statement, which applies to myself and many of my peers at this time: ...Using panel data methods that exploit longitudinal variation in wages and marriage timing, the authors estimate that delaying marriage increases hourly wages of women by nearly four percent for each year they delay. Marriage timing has no impact on the wages of men.
So really, I have more to lose than to gain by making a commitment at this time. If I wait until near death to actually "tie the legal knot," then I will make quite a lot more money! My boyfriend and I will be a lot happier if we can take more vacations on those extra earning$.
There is a lot of literature out there that has encouraged me to this path and I'm sure there are similar influences for him too, but it seems to me, smart people marry later if they do it at all. I've read The Second Sex, where Simone deBeauvoir essentially states that "marriage and motherhood is the end of the intellectual woman."
There are two more contemporary books that I need to read that address this topic: The Commitment: Love, Sex, Marriage, and My Family by Dan Savage and Committed: A Love Story by Elizabeth Gilbert. For a summer project I will read both of these and submit my book report to the blog.
As far as public administration, I think towns, states and the fed need to consider this changing pattern of domestic partnership. There has to be a form of tax revenue that they are missing!

No comments:

Post a Comment